Being a dog parent is not an easy task. You have to do and learn a lot of stuff you had thought of never doing or learning.
How to Put a Diaper on a Dog? is one such thing. Though it is not a very hard task to put a diaper on a dog, at the start, it may be a little inconvenient to do.
Putting a diaper on a dog involves sizing correctly and orienting the diaper properly. Measure your dog's waist and buy the appropriate size. The diaper's larger end goes towards the dog's back. For male dogs, cover the entire genital area, ensuring their tail fits through the opening.
With proper practice, and when you start putting diapers on your dog, you will eventually become good at this. Even though there are many different types of diapers on the market, you can also make diapers at home.
When we talk about how to put a diaper on a dog, it is not a very difficult job to do. You must follow basic rules like ensuring the right fit of diapers for your dog.
Also, there are many DIY methods for making dog diapers. These DIY methods are straightforward, and you can easily make the diaper for your dog with some essential tools.
Though just like kids, dogs and puppies also don't like to wear diapers for a long time. Dogs tend to remove diapers through scratching. But now, various diapers in the market are more comfortable than before.
Also, the available options in the market help owners keep the diaper on their furry pet for a longer time. So, let's see step by step how to put a diaper on a dog.
Why Do Dogs Need a Diaper?
You must be thinking about why dogs need a diaper. You will be a little surprised to know that there are many reasons for a dog needing a diaper. Let’s see what these reasons are.
Urinary incontinence is a medical condition caused in dogs because of an infection in the urinary tract, diabetes, or bladder problems.
Though this condition can be treated by medication or surgery, if it doesn't work out, then diapers will become a part of your dog’s daily life.
Diaper for Female Dogs in Heat
During heat cycles, females need a covering to contain the mess. This allows them to be a part of the family rather than tucked away in a crate or pen.
House Training Issues
Dogs’ diapers can be handy during house training. When you are teaching and training your dog (significantly if your dog is grown up) where to poop and where to pee, diapers are very helpful.
How to Put a Diaper on a Dog?
You have to keep some things in your mind when you have to choose the best-fit diaper for your dog.
Read the complete article to know how you have to put a diaper on your dog.
There are two most important measurements you have to know before buying a diaper for your dog.
The first important measurement is waist size, while the second one is the diaper length. You can refer to the paw-inspired sizing chart when you take the measurement of your dog
- To measure the waist size of your dog, start counting from the point where the waistband of the diaper will fit your dog in the best way.
- Then check on which category of waist size your dog falls into.
- Now you have to determine the best fit diaper length for your dog. To measure the size of the diaper, start measuring from the dog’s underbelly, then measure between the legs of the dog and then measure along its spine, and then finally return to the waist.
- Then choose the diaper of the length that fits best for your dog according to measurements.
- Now here comes your main work of putting diapers on your dog. To do so, place the tabs underneath. And make sure that the padding is facing in.
- Then over your dog’s tail, slip the hole of the diaper.
- Then in the next step, fix your dog's diaper between the back legs and snugly against the dog’s underbelly.
- And in the last step, secure the tabs of the diaper, and you are all done.
Dogs have a habit of scratching their diapers off. To get rid of this habit, you can give your dog some reward or praise every time you put a diaper on them.
Your dog will feel that he is doing good. That’s why he is getting the reward. And he will try not to remove the diaper.
How to Make a Dog Diaper?
I guess everyone must have heard or seen that their mothers used to make alternative diapers for them at home.
Dog owners treat their dogs like their own children, and hence they also make diapers at home for their dogs. Making diapers for dogs at home is not a challenging task. Just follow the below-mentioned steps to know how easily you can make a dog diaper.
- Take a standard baby diaper. Take the size of the baby diaper that fits your dog. Baby diapers have a measurement guideline on the package from where you can decide which baby diaper fits your dog best.
- Put the diaper around your dog, and then put your finger at the position of his tail. Then use a pair of scissors to snip a hole in the diaper, cut around, and then your homemade dog diaper is ready by using a baby diaper.
- The other way to make a dog diaper is by using a pair of children’s undergarments. Boy’s boxers are generally preferred if you are making diapers in this way because they have a little more material that can go down the legs a little bit.
- To make the diaper, slide the used boxers onto your dog wherever his tail lines up. Mark the point with your finger and then cut a little hole from which your dog's tail can come through.
- After that, use a sanitary pad. Stick the sanitary pad inside the boxers before putting the diaper on your dog. The sanitary pad will help you to soak up urine.
- Then with the tail hole cut, your furry pet can wear these homemade diapers. Such diapers are very comfortable for dogs.
- The other way to make dogs' diapers is by using a pee pad.
- Draw an hourglass shape (like the shape of a baby diaper) on the pee pad, and then cut out your pee pad. Also, make sure the cut-out pee pad fits your dog.
- Now you have cut the pee pad according to the measurements of your dog. Now you will have an hourglass-shaped pee pad which will have little flaps on either side.
- Wrap the pee pad around your dog from the flaps, and then just duct tape it
- You can also use Velcro or safety pins.
- As an alternative to a pee pad, you can also use some cloth material. Just remember clothes are not absorbent, whereas pee pads can absorb a large number of liquids.
- In this way of making a diaper at home, you will use a sock.
- You have to cut a hole from the toe of your dog’s tail in both the top and the bottom of the sock.
- Then cut the ankle portion of the sock almost to the heel.
- Then loop the hole over your dog’s tail and pull each side of the split ankle portion around each hind leg.
- Then tie securely on each side, and your DIY diaper is ready.
- In this method, you will use a t-shirt to make a diaper for your dog.
- Lay the shirt flat on the bed or floor, then fold on one side and line its sleeve seam with the centre of the collar.
- Then fold the other side, just like you have folded the first side.
- After that, fold the top portion of the t-shirt to create a T shape.
- Then fold the bottom of the shirt up so that it meets the bottom of the sleeves. This step will also shorten the t-shirt length, which will be suitable for proper diaper length. And that’s all, and your homemade diaper is ready.
DIY methods of making dog diapers are very easy, as you can see in the article. Also, you will not need any fancy material to make DIY diapers.
You can make homemade diapers in just a few minutes. These homemade diapers are very comfortable for dogs to use.
How to put a diaper on a dog is an easy job. Within a few tries, you will become a pro at this work. Also, if you are short of a dog diaper and need it urgently, you can make one at home.
There are many ways through which you can make a dog diaper at home, as you can see in the article itself. Read the complete article to know why dogs need a diaper.